Packed full of holiday activities, the last couple months are full of fun, stress, cookies, and a lot of extra waste. With all of the extra food, gifts, and decorations, household waste from Thanksgiving to New Year's increases by 25%! Now, I don't want you to lose any of your holiday cheer, but here are some tips on how you can keep your garbage bin a little less cluttered this season:
- Know how many people are coming to dinner so that no food will go to waste - and always make a grocery list!
- Bring your reusable shopping bags while buying food and presents.
- Use reusable dishware, utensils, and napkins for your gatherings
- Send electronic invitations
- Limit the amount of wrapping paper by using reusable gift bags or fabric
- Consider gifting zero-waste items such as homemade goods, concert tickets, or an experience you know the person will enjoy!
- Use rechargeable batteries in your electronics and unplug your decorations when you're out of the house
- Purchase your food and gifts from local stores whenever possible
- Buy a tree that was grown locally and recycle or compost it after the season. Or buy a potted tree that you can later plant in your yard
- Pay attention to your regular recyclables to make sure everything in the bin is cleaned and prepared correctly!