Towards Zero Deaths

What is TZD?

The Lyon County Sheriff's Office along with several other law enforcement agencies in the state participates in MN Toward Zero Deaths Campaign which is based on the belief that even one traffic-related death on our roads is unacceptable. This “zero deaths” idea was first adopted in Sweden in 1997 as "Vision Zero" and since then has evolved to several state DOTs, including Minnesota, that have identified zero deaths as a core objective in their Strategic Highway Safety Plans.

TZD uses a data-driven, interdisciplinary approach that targets areas for improvement and employs proven countermeasures, integrating application of education, enforcement, engineering, and emergency medical and trauma services (the “4Es”). A combination of strategies from different focus areas is often most effective for solving a particular problem.

For more information please visit the MN state website for MN Towards Zero Deaths.

 Alcohol Compliance Checks:
 Every year the Lyon County Sheriff's Office conducts random Alcohol Compliance Checks on establishments that serve alcohol throughout Lyon County.  Our goals is to have all establishments checked successfully pass these compliance checks. 
 What is an Alcohol Compliance Check?
  • An alcohol compliance check is a tool used to identify alcohol establishments that sell alcohol to underage youth. The practice of conducting compliance checks can be:
    • Mandated by a local ordinance that outlines standards for conducting the checks people or agencies responsible for conducting the compliance checks, and penalties for establishments, servers and sellers who illegally sell or serve alcohol to underage youth.
Voluntarily implemented by Law Enforcement or licensing authorities.
  •  Compliance checks can be used for two purposes:
    • To enforce state criminal statutes, local administrative ordinances, or both.
    • Enforcement:
    • Educational:
To identify, warn, and educate alcohol establishments that serve or sell alcohol to underage youth.
  • Generally, compliance checks are implemented by the following procedures:
    • Alcohol licensees are informed that compliance checks will occur at various times throughout the year and about potential penalties for selling alcohol to underage youth.
    • While an enforcement agent (police officer or other authorized person) waits outside the premises, a person under age 21 attempts to purchase or order an alcoholic beverage.
    • If the alcohol establishment sells alcohol to the young person, the enforcement agent issues a citation either to the seller/server or to the establishment: the law enforcement officer may charge the server or seller who sold the alcohol (when compliance checks are used to enforce state laws governing servers and sellers).
The officer may issue an administrative citation, which is imposed upon the alcohol license holder rather than the individual server or seller (when compliance checks are used to enforce local administrative ordinances). Because administrative charges are easier, faster, and less expensive to prosecute, they can be the best option-and in some communities the only option-for penalizing alcohol establishments.

News / Recent Events

Lyon County Sheriff's Office News / Recent Events 

On 05/02/2018 the Lyon County Sheriff's Office

 participated in putting on a mock crash for the students of Tracy High School. 

This interactive realistic event visually demonstrates the possible consequences of distracted or impaired driving.












National Night Out 2016
2016 Deputy Sandgren explaining the Rollover Simulator to Lakeview students in Cottonwood.

Firearm Permits

Permit To Carry A Pistol In Minnesota Frequently Asked Questions

These answers are for information purposes only, further clarification of the law may be addressed by referring directly to Minnesota State Statute 624.714

1. Where can I apply for a permit to carry a pistol?
For Minnesota residents, individuals may obtain permits to carry a pistol by submitting an application and other related documentation to the sheriff in the county where the applicant resides. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff. 2.
Can I apply for a permit to carry if I am not a U.S. citizen but have permanent resident status in the United States?
Yes, when you apply you will need to provide the sheriff with your I-551 or I-151 card, whichever one you have been issued. 3. Where can I get a permit to carry application?
Applications will be available at the county sheriff’s office and on the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension’s website:
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/firearms.aspx 4. Can a non-resident mail in a permit to carry application or obtain a Minnesota permit to carry without physically being present?
No. Applications must be submitted in person to a Minnesota county sheriff. 5. What are the requirements for getting a permit to carry?

  • Must be at least 21 years of age
  • Must complete an application form
  • Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota Statute 624.714
  • Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system
  • Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
  • Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training. Training by a certified instructor and completed within one year of an original or renewal application. (624.714, Subd. 2a)

6. When is a permit to carry not required?

A permit to carry is not required of a person: (Minnesota Statute 624.714, Subd. 9)

  • To keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on land possessed by the person a pistol;
  • To carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of business, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business to or from a place where repairing is done, to have the pistol repaired;
  • To carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business;
  • To carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area;
  • To transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, or securely tied package.

7. Where can I find a list of approved firearm training classes?
The BCA no longer publishes a list of firearm instructors on the website, but does provide a list of the Approved Business Organizations that the BCA certifies for training classes for the Minnesota Personal Protection Act. The Approved Business Organizations certify the instructors that teach for them. Individuals need to contact those organizations for instructor information. Certified Firearms Instructors can be found at this location:


8. If I am a non-resident, must I take an approved firearms training class in Minnesota in order to get a Minnesota permit to carry?
No. You are only required to present evidence that you have received training in the safe use of a pistol from an organization or government entity that has been approved by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety in accordance with the department’s standards. 9. Do members of the military need to take additional firearms training in order to apply for a permit to carry?
Although members of the military received superb firearms training, they must receive training from an instructor that has been certified by an approved business organization in Minnesota. This additional training pertains to the legal aspects of “permit to carry issues”. Military members can contact their local sheriff’s department for further clarification and consideration.

10. What is the cost for a permit to carry?
The fee for a new permit to carry will be determined by the county sheriff, not to exceed $100. A fee for a renewal permit (applied for before the expiration date of a current permit to carry) will be determined by the county sheriff, not to exceed $75. An additional $10.00 fee will be charged for those applying for a renewal after the expiration date on the previous permit, but within 30 days of that expiration date. Lyon County Sheriff's Office Handgun Permits to Carry in 2017 Cost: $100.00 11. How long do I have to wait to get my permit?
The county sheriff must either issue or deny a permit within 30 days of the application date. 12. How long is my permit valid?
New and renewal permits are valid for five (5) years from the date of issuance. Emergency permits are valid for 30 days. 13. Can I get an emergency permit to carry?
Emergency permits may be issued by the sheriff if he/she determines that the person is in an emergency situation that may constitute an immediate risk to the safety of the person or someone residing in the person’s household.

14. What would prevent me from getting a permit to carry?

Any applicant who does not meet the criteria as listed in number 5 above is not eligible for a permit to carry a pistol. The sheriff may also deny the application if there is a substantial likelihood that the applicant is a danger to himself/herself or others if issued a permit to carry.
15. Are predatory offenders prohibited from obtaining a permit to carry?
Yes. It is a misdemeanor for a person required to register as a predatory offender to carry a pistol. 16. Where is my Minnesota permit valid?
Minnesota permits are valid throughout the state of Minnesota.

Individuals interested in determining whether a Minnesota permit to carry is valid in another state should contact that state directly to determine what the carry laws are. You may also find other resources on the Internet to assist you. 17. Do I need to have my permit with me when carrying my pistol?
Yes, the permit holder must have the permit card and a valid driver’s license, state identification card, or other government-issued photo identification in immediate possession at all times when carrying a pistol and must display the permit card and identification document when requested by a peace officer.
18. Do I have to disclose to a peace officer that I am a permit holder and carrying a firearm?
Yes, upon request of a peace officer, a permit holder must disclose to the officer whether or not the permit holder is currently carrying a firearm. 19. Do I need to notify the Sheriff’s Office when I move?
Yes, a permit holder is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. 20. Do the address and/or my new driver’s license number on my permit to carry need to match the address and/or drivers license number on my driver’s license?
No. A permit holder, however, is required to notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of a permanent address change. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may, however, obtain an updated permit at a cost of $ 10.00. There is a statutory requirement to change the address on your driver’s license within 30 days after changing your residence (171.11).

21. What do I do if my permit card is lost or destroyed?
The permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff’s office within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card. Failure to do so is a petty misdemeanor. The permit holder may obtain a replacement permit card by paying $10.00 to the sheriff.

22. If I have a permit to carry a pistol do I have to conceal the pistol?

No. Minnesota’s Personal Protection Act is a permit to carry law, not a conceal and carry law. The pistol does not need to be concealed, but can be concealed. 23. If I have a permit to carry a pistol do I need to apply for a permit to purchase if I want to purchase a handgun?
No. Under Minnesota law, handgun transfers involve any sale, gift, loan, assignment or other delivery to another person. If you possess a valid permit to carry a handgun, that permit constitutes a permit to purchase. You don’t need to apply for a separate permit to purchase.


24. Where am I prohibited from carrying my pistol?

  • School property
  • A childcare center while children are present
  • Public colleges and universities – may have policy restricting the carrying of weapons on their premises by employees and students while on campus
  • Private establishments that have posted a sign banning guns on their premises
  • Private establishments who have personally informed the permit holder that guns are prohibited and demands compliance
  • Places of employment, public or private, if employer restricts the carry or possession of firearms by is employees
  • State correctional facilities or state hospitals and grounds (MN Statute 243.55)
  • Any jail, lockup or correctional facility (MN Statute 641.165)
  • Courthouse complexes, unless the sheriff is notified (MN Statute 609.66)
  • Offices and courtrooms of the Minnesota Supreme Court and Court of Appeals
  • Any state building unless the commissioner of public safety is notified (MN Statute 609.66)
  • In a field while hunting big game by archery, except when hunting bear (MN Statute 97B.211)
  • In federal court facilities or other federal facilities (Title 18 U.S.C.§ 930)

25. Can private establishments prohibit carrying pistols on their premises?
Yes, private establishments must post a notice banning guns on their premises or personally notify patrons that guns are not allowed.

26. Can my landlord restrict me from carrying or possessing firearms on residence premises?

Landlords may not restrict the lawful carry or possession of firearms by tenants or their guests. 27. Can my employer prohibit carrying pistols in the work place?
Yes, an employer may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by is employees while the employee is working.

28. Can I prohibit firearms in my private residence?

The owner of the residence may prohibit firearms in their home. 29. Can active licensed officers carry in private establishments?
Yes, active licensed peace officers, or security guards acting in the course and scope of employment, may carry firearms in private establishments.

30. Are there requirements for an out of state sworn Police Officer to carry in Minnesota?

Federal or Out of State Police officers, whether on or off duty, do not need a permit to carry firearms in Minnesota. If they are going to carry a pistol, they must carry their police credentials as well.

31. What are the federal laws that govern retired officers carrying firearms?
The law governing retired officers is the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004. In addition, United States Code Chapter 44, Title 18, Section 926 C, Carrying of Concealed Firearms by Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officers, applies. Minnesota retired officers must meet the criteria found on the Minnesota POST Board website located at https://dps.mn.gov/entity/post/Pages/default.aspx 32. If I am a resident of a state that does not have reciprocity with Minnesota but have a permit to carry from a state that does, may I carry in Minnesota?
Yes. 33. If I am a permit holder from another state traveling in or visiting Minnesota and I do not have a permit to carry that is recognized by Minnesota, where can I legally store my firearm while in Minnesota?
Transporting firearms without a permit requires the person to have the unloaded cased firearm in the trunk of the vehicle. For details on transporting firearms, refer to Minnesota Statute 97B.045, Transportation of Firearms.

34. How can I legally transport a firearm from one place to another without obtaining a permit to carry?

Transporting firearms without a permit requires the person to have the firearm unloaded and fully enclosed in a case made to contain a firearm. For full details on transporting firearms, refer to Minnesota Statute 97B.045, Transportation of Firearms. 35. Is there a public list of gun permit holders, or can I obtain a list or call local law enforcement to find out individuals in my community who have a permit to carry?
No. This is private data and is not available to the public. 36. Where can I find a list of out of state gun permits that Minnesota recognizes?
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx Minnesota laws authorize individuals holding gun permits from the states listed on this website to carry in Minnesota. A permit issued by another state does not supersede Minnesota’s laws or regulations. Legal conduct in another state may not be legal in Minnesota.

37. Where can I get a permit to purchase or transfer a gun?
38. When does my permit expire?
Any 5 year permit expires at 12:00 A.M. midnight on the date of expiration listed on the permit. 39. After my five-year permit to carry expires, do I need to retake the approved firearms training class before I apply for a renewal permit?
Yes. Applicants must present evidence that they have received training in the safe use of a pistol within one year of the date of an original or renewal application. (MN Statute 624.714 Subd. 2a)

40. Where do I renew my permit?

Permits must be renewed at the county sheriff’s office in the county where the applicant currently resides. Out of state permit holders can renew at any sheriff’s office.

41. When can I renew my permit?

Not prior to 90 days of the expiration date of the current permit. The maximum renewal gun permit fee will be $75.00. After the expiration date, but within 30 days after the expiration, you can renew your permit by paying an additional late fee of $10.00. During this time your past permit is not valid, and you will not be able to carry until your renewal permit has been approved and issued. 31 days after expiration, you will no longer be able to renew your permit, but will have to apply for a new gun permit. The maximum gun permit fee will then be $100.00. 42. What is the process for renewing my permit?

  • Take an authorized firearms training class within one year prior to your renewal application.
  • Deliver the application packet, not prior to 90 days of the expiration date of the current permit, in person to the Sheriff’s Department in the county where you currently reside, or for out of state permit holders, to any Sheriff’s Department in the State of Minnesota.
  • The packet must contain a completed application, signed and dated Permit To Carry A Firearm.
  • With the renewal box checked and an original certificate of completed authorized firearms training. You must present a current drivers license, state identification card or the photo page of your passport (not a US citizen but permanent resident must present an I-551 or I-151 card).

Pay My Citation

Payable Citation/Method of Payment

To find out if your citation is payable without a court appearance, how much to pay, or to pay your fine, or provide proof of insurance prior to payment, choose one of the following methods:

Online: Using MasterCard or Visa, access www.mncourts.gov/fines. Have your citation number available. A convenience fee will apply.

By Phone: Using MasterCard or Visa, call 651-281-3219 in the metro or 1-800-657-3611 outside of the metro area. Have your citation number available. Disponible por teléfono en Español. A convenience fee will apply.

By Mail: Check or Money Order payable to Court Administration. Send to: Minnesota Court Payment Center, PO Box 898, Willmar, MN 56201. Include a copy of your citation or indicate the citation number on the check or money order.

Fax: Provide proof of insurance, prior to making a payment. Proof of insurance may be faxed to the Minnesota Court Payment Center at 320-231-6507.

You have the right to appear in court. Please refer to the front of this citation. If a court date is noted, you must either pay your fine by this date or you may choose to appear in court on the date, time and at the location indicated. If no court date is noted, you must pay the amount owed or you may schedule an appearance within 30 days from the date this citation was issued. To make a payment or schedule an appearance call: 651-281-3219 in the metro area or 1-800-657-3611 outside of the metro area. Please allow 10 business days (from the date you receive your citation) for processing before calling.

BY PAYING THIS FINE(S), YOU ARE ENTERING A PLEA OF GUILTY to this offense(s) and voluntarily waive your rights to the following: (Minn. R. Crim. P. 23.03)

1. To a court trial, if the offense is a petty misdemeanor, or a court or jury trial for all other offenses;

2. To be represented by counsel;

3. To be presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt;

4. To confront and cross examine all witnesses; and

5. To either remain silent or to testify on your own behalf.

A guilty plea will result in a conviction. If convicted, you must pay a state imposed surcharge under Minn. Stat. § 357.021, subd. 6. The current amount of the required surcharge is $12 for parking-related offenses and $75 for all other offenses, and an additional $1 for citations issued in Ramsey County (Minn. Stat. § 169.99). Additionally, a law library fee will be owed. These surcharges and fees are included in the total payable amount provided to you by phone or web.

Under Minn. Stat. § 480.15, subd. 10c, unpaid fines may be referred for collections. You have the right to contest the referral.

Issuance of a worthless check to the court is a crime, and you will be subject to civil and criminal penalties. In addition, a charge of up to $30 will be assessed on all returned checks (Minn. Stat. § 604.113, subd. 2).

Other important notices regarding your rights can be found on the Minnesota Judicial Branch website at: www.mncourts.gov/fines

If a Court Appearance is Required

Certain charge(s) require you to appear in court. To verify if the charge(s) you have received require a court appearance, please call 651-281-3219 in the metro or 1-800-657-3611 outside of the metro area and refer to the front of this citation. If you must appear in court and a court date is noted on the front of this citation, your appearance is scheduled for the date, time and location indicated. If you must appear in court and no court date is noted on the front of this citation, a Notice to Appear indicating a court date will be mailed to the address on the citation. If this address is not correct, you must immediately notify the court at the number noted above of your current address. If you have questions regarding the charge(s), call the number noted above.

Penalties for Failure to Appear or Respond

Failure to appear or respond as required may result in the following:

• The Department of Public Safety and/or the Department of Natural Resources may be notified of your failure to appear and/or conviction, depending on the charge(s). These agencies may suspend your driver’s license or DNR licenses for failing to appear.

• A warrant may be issued for your arrest.

• Late penalties may be assessed.

• For Petty Misdemeanors, and Misdemeanors Certified as Petty Misdemeanors, failure to appear or respond as required is considered a waiver of the right to trial, and a guilty plea and conviction will be entered on the charge(s), unless the failure to appear is due to circumstances beyond your control. (Minn. Stat. § 169.91; 609.491; Minn. R. Crim. P. 23.04-23.05.)

If this is a Juvenile Court Offense:

The Court will mail further information and instructions to you.



Lyon County Sheriff's Office Boat & Water Patrol


 Grant Name: State Boat & Water Safety Grant to Counties
 Project Manager: County Sheriff
 Type: Legislatively-directed appropriation

Preventing or reducing boating accidents & drownings and making Minnesota's waters safe & enjoyable.  This includes boating law enforcement, aids to navigation, response to & investigations of boating accidents / drownings, search, rescue, & recovery operations, permitting of events & temp. structures and rental boat inspections.


2018 & 2019 Grants To Lyon County

 2018 Grant:

Allocated: $1,172.00
  Grant Period: Jan. 1st 2018 - June 30th 2019
  Total Expended and Invoiced to date: $920.20

 2019 Grant:

Allocated: $1,150.00
  Grant Period: Jan. 1st 2019 - June 30th 2020
  Total Expended and Invoiced to date: $0.00

Early season boating safety reminders.

 Primary Messages:

Cold water kills. Wear your life jacket!

Inflatable life jackets are a convenient and comfortable option for adults.

2018 stats: 14 boating-related deaths statewide; a life jacket was not worn in 13 of those cases.

Taking time to prepare now will help ensure a safer and more enjoyable boating season.


  • From ice-out until early summer, lakes and streams are extremely cold. To survive an unexpected fall into cold water, it is imperative that you are already wearing a life jacket.
  • New styles of life jackets, such as inflatables, are designed for convenient and comfortable preventive wear. Inflatable life jackets are a Coast Guard-approved option for adult boaters.
  • Children younger than 10 years old must wear a life jacket anytime they are aboard a watercraft that is underway (i.e., not tied to a dock or anchored for swimming).
  • There must be at least one readily accessible and wearable life jacket on board per person. Watercraft 16 feet or longer must also have at least one throwable floatation device (except for canoes and kayaks).
  • HOWEVER, boat and water safety officials strongly recommend that all boaters wear life jackets, no matter their age, especially when on cold water.
  • The shock of cold water causes an involuntary gasp reflex, leading to inhalation of water. It takes less than a half-cup of water in the lungs to drown. The shock of sudden entry into the water can also cause cardiac arrest, even for people in good health.
  • More than 30 percent of boating fatalities in Minnesota occur in cold water. Life jackets not only keep you afloat, but Type III/foam-filled styles also add some insulation against the effects of cold water.
  • Anglers should be mindful of their boat’s weight capacity and occupancy limit. Overloading of small fishing boats with people and gear is a common cause of capsizing and swamping.
  • In 2018, there were 14 boating fatalities in Minnesota. Of those, 13 were not wearing a life jacket. Boating fatality and accident details are available online at www.mndnr.gov/boatingsafety.
  • Taking a few minutes now to ensure your boat has the needed safety equipment and that items are in working order will lead to a safer and more enjoyable boating season.
  • In addition to life jackets, safety equipment for motorboats includes: a horn or whistle, fire extinguisher and navigation lights. These may be required depending on size and type of boat, but their use on all motorboats is recommended by the DNR. Details can be found on pages 10-20 of the 2015 Minnesota Boating Guide.
  • All watercraft must have a valid boat registration, except for non-motorized watercraft 10 feet or less.
  • Youth operators 12-17 are required to have a watercraft operator’s permit to operate motorboats over 25 hp (age 13 minimum for personal watercraft under the visual supervision of someone age 21 or older). Details are on pages 25 and 36 of the 2015 Boating Guide.
  • Further details on boating safety, required equipment, boat registration and watercraft operator’s permits can be found at www.mndnr.gov/boatingsafety


Download this file (2011 West Twin Ordinance.pdf)West Twin Ordinance132 kB
Page 3 of 3

Hours and Locations

Lyon County Government Center

8:00-4:30 M-F   Map

Public Works Building

8:00-4:30 M-F   Map

Law Enforcement Center

8:00-4:00 M-F   Map

Lyon County Zoning/SWCD

8:00-4:30 M-F   Map

Lyon County Landfill

6:00-4:00 M-F   Map


Code Red Icon.

Sign up for e-mail, text, and phone alerts from the Lyon County Sheriffs Department

Facebook Icon


Eric Wallen
611 West Main Street
Marshall, MN 56258
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.