NOTICE - Updated 5/19/2020


The Lyon County offices will be opening on May 21st, 2020 however due to the continued health concerns raised by the COVID-19 virus the Lyon County Government Center and Public Works building will be conducting business by appointment only.


We ask that you wear a face mask when doing business in the Lyon County offices. To schedule an appointment online Click Here. Please call the department if you have any questions. The Booking application works best in: Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari web browsers.

Tax Forfeited Land

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Tax Forfeited Land For Sale

The below list of properties were not sold at a public auction and may be purchased by paying the basic sale price, plus the applicable fees and costs, with cash, check or money order at the Lyon County Auditor/Treasurer’s office (2nd floor of Government Center at 607 West Main St in Marshall). The basic sale price cannot be changed until the parcel is reappraised, republished, and again offered at a subsequent public auction.



No properties currently available.


Tax Forfeited Land FAQs

What is a counter sale?
A counter sale is land that has already gone through the public sale process and no bids were taken. Sales are on a first come first serve basis. The minimum appraised value must be used as the sales price. The basic sales price cannot be changed unless the parcel is reappraised, advertised and put up for public auction again.

Is there a difference between tax forfeited land and mortgage foreclosure?
Yes. Tax forfeited land is when an owner has unpaid property taxes to the county. A mortgage foreclosure is when an owner defaults to a bank or other financial institution.

What fees are involved with purchasing forfeited land?
3% Assurance fee, $25 State Deed fee, $46 Recorder fee, 0.33% Deed tax if over $500 or $1.65 if $500 and under.
$1,000 Basic sales price + $30.00 + $25 + $46 + $3.30 = $1,104.30
$400 Basic sales price + $12 + $25 + $46 + $1.65= $484.65

Do I have to pay the special assessments?
You do not have to pay the canceled special assessments at the time of purchase, but the governmental unit(s) may reinstate any special assessments that were canceled at forfeiture after the property has been sold. We recommend you contact the government unit(s) to inquire about their plans with any special assessments.

 City of Balaton: (507)734-4711  City of Cottonwood: (507)423-6488
 City of Florence: (507)823-4695  City of Garvin: (507)746-4459
 City of Ghent: (507)428-3214  City of Lynd: (507)865-4514
 City of Marshall: (507)537-6763  City of Minneota: (507)872-6144
 City of Russell: (507)823-4366  City of Taunton: (507)872-5950
 City of Tracy: (507)629-5528  


How do I know if any easements or liens exist on the property?
You will want to check with the County Recorder to see if any liens or easements have been recorded. The County Recorder can be reached at 507-537-6722.

Is the property “buildable”?
Each City within the County has different requirements for “buildable” lots. Please call the appropriate City from the list above.

When will I own the property if I purchase it?
Immediately. You will receive a receipt at the time of sale. The Department of Revenue will issue a deed once payment has been made in full. Once the deed is received at the county it will be recorded and forwarded on to you.

What forms of payment are accepted?
Cash, check or money order.

Can I see the property in person?
Not currently.

Who do I contact for more information?
Auditor/Treasurer’s office
607 W. Main St.
Marshall MN 56258