NOTICE - Updated 3/26/2020

Due to the continued health concerns raised by the COVID-19 virus the Lyon County Government Center, Public Works and the landfill will be closed to the public effective 03/30/2020 – 4/10/2020. 
Auditor/Treasurer - 507-537-6724
Driver’s License - 507-537-6727
Recorder, Birth, Death, Marriage - 507-537-6722
Assessor - 507-537-6731
Court Administration - 507-537-6734
Probation - 507-537-6746
Veteran’s Services - 507-537-6729
Human Resources, Administration - 507-537-6961
Passports - 507-532-1339
Environmental (including Household Hazardous Waste and mattress recycling)   - 507-532-8210
Landfill - 507-865-4615
Lyon County Soil & Water Conservation District - 507-532-8207 Ext. 3
Highway - 507-532-8205
Residents may also contact county staff by email. Email addresses are listed on the county website at We apologize for any inconvenience that that this may cause, and we thank you for your understanding.  These precautions are necessary to ensure the safety of our employees and to slow the spread of the virus.  For more information about COVID-19 and how to prevent the spread of the virus, please visit or
Further updates will be posted to our website and Facebook page as they become available.

Household Hazardous Waste

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A household hazardous product is a chemical product that is used in and around the home. Examples include paint, pesticides, flammable materials, and bathroom cleaners. These products should not be dumped down the drain, and most should not go in the garbage.

The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facility is the destination for your unwanted household hazardous waste items. If you have questions about potentially hazardous waste call (507) 532-8210. The Lyon County HHW Facility is located in the Lyon County Public Works Building, located at 504 Fairgrounds Road in Marshall.

Monday-Friday: 8:00am - 4:30pm
Second Saturday of the month: 9:00am - 2:00pm

The following materials are not accepted at the HHW facility.

  • Explosives: Contact the Lyon County Sheriff Office at (507) 537-7666.
  • Prescriptions/Pharmaceutical Waste: Lyon County Sheriff's Department "Take it to the Box" program - (attachment below)
Safe Transportation
Product Exchange Area
Acceptable Materials : Household Products
Acceptable Materials : Yard & Garden Products
Acceptable Materials : Garage & Automotive