Landfills are complex operations complete with pumps, pipes, wastewater collection systems, and landfill gas flaring controls. Its not just a "dump", and several people work there to assure that our landfill is run effectively and efficiently and at no risk to the environment.
Lyon County's Regional landfill serves eight (8) Counties with garbage disposal services, and is a collection point for recycling of bulky materials such as TVs & computer electronics, large appliances, tires, and triple-rinsed pesticide jugs.
The landfill is located about 12 miles South of Marshall, MN just east of MN Hwy 23.
Proper Disposal Information
Not all materials should be disposed IN the landfill as better options for recycling or disposal are available. The following information is offered as a guide for proper disposal options. Note that the landfill, or the public works HHW/recycling center may serve as a collection point for recycling, or proper disposal of certain items.
REMOVED FOR SPECIAL RECYCLING
- Computer Electronics and TVs
- Pesticide Containers (triple rinsed)
NOTE: The following items are NO LONGER COLLECTED for recycling at the landfill.
All these items Can be taken to the Lyon County Public Works Household Hazardous Waste / Recycling Facility
- Batteries (Lead acid, or rechargeable)
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs
- Car Seats
- Hazardous Waste (paint, chemicals, etc.)
- Super Sacks and Seed Bags
The following materials are NOT accepted at the Lyon County Landfill
- Agricultural Chemicals
- Animal Carcasses
- Medical Waste
- Radioactive Waste
- Septic Tank Waste
- Vehicle Fluids
- Yard Waste
Self-Hauling waste is not recommended but is acceptable. If you choose to haul your own waste rather than use a professional waste hauling company please pay attention to the following important points.
- ALL loads must be covered / tarped to avoid littering and pollution while in transit.
- For traffic and safety reasons, ONLY 4-wheel drive vehicles with dump trailers are permitted in the landfill cell. All other vehicles MUST use the convenience area dumpsters.
- Landfill staff are NOT permitted to help unload items.
- Landfill equipment is NOT permitted to be used to help the unloading process.
- Separate your waste for easier disposal.
- Garbage, and Construction / Demolition (C & D) waste is weighed.
- Appliances and Computer Electronics are charged by the item.
- Tires are charged by the item except for large loads which may be weighed.
- Metal items (grills, mowers, gutters, pipe, etc.) are collected at no cost.
- Additional fees may be assessed for contaminated C & D loads.
High winds and heavy rains create landfill operation management problems that may require a need to close until conditions improve. Area haulers are encouraged to refer to the following local conditions.