NOTICE - Updated 3/26/2020

Due to the continued health concerns raised by the COVID-19 virus the Lyon County Government Center, Public Works and the landfill will be closed to the public effective 03/30/2020 – 4/10/2020. 
Auditor/Treasurer - 507-537-6724
Driver’s License - 507-537-6727
Recorder, Birth, Death, Marriage - 507-537-6722
Assessor - 507-537-6731
Court Administration - 507-537-6734
Probation - 507-537-6746
Veteran’s Services - 507-537-6729
Human Resources, Administration - 507-537-6961
Passports - 507-532-1339
Environmental (including Household Hazardous Waste and mattress recycling)   - 507-532-8210
Landfill - 507-865-4615
Lyon County Soil & Water Conservation District - 507-532-8207 Ext. 3
Highway - 507-532-8205
Residents may also contact county staff by email. Email addresses are listed on the county website at We apologize for any inconvenience that that this may cause, and we thank you for your understanding.  These precautions are necessary to ensure the safety of our employees and to slow the spread of the virus.  For more information about COVID-19 and how to prevent the spread of the virus, please visit or
Further updates will be posted to our website and Facebook page as they become available.

Demolishing a Structure?

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What you need to know

Don't Burn

Today’s garbage includes packaging materials that release carcinogens and other toxins when burned. Several pollutants persist in the environment and accumulate in the food chain. Human exposure happens through inhaling polluted air and eating contaminated food. The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency offers these tips to keep in compliance with state rules on solid waste:

  • Don’t burn solid waste.
  • Don’t burn any buildings.
  • Don’t demolish buildings until you have followed the proper procedures.
  • Don’t bury anything unless you have a permit.

Building Demolition:

  • You must remove certain materials, such as devices containing mercury, from a structure before demolition.
  • You will likely need a licensed inspection for asbestos, a potentially harmful substance, before demolition.
  • Any waste generated, such as concrete and wood, must go to a specially permitted facility for disposal.

Minnesota law does allow a farm exemption to bury certain materials in certain areas. However, it’s best to seek local and state permits before burying anything on your property because the farm exemption does not cover everything. For example, you cannot bury appliances, or demolition debris.

The following documents are from the MPCA. They are offered for educational purposes. To follow the proper procedure in disposing of demolition waste please contact your local solid waste officer, or the MPCA.