NOTICE - Updated 5/19/2020


The Lyon County offices will be opening on May 21st, 2020 however due to the continued health concerns raised by the COVID-19 virus the Lyon County Government Center and Public Works building will be conducting business by appointment only.


We ask that you wear a face mask when doing business in the Lyon County offices. To schedule an appointment online Click Here. Please call the department if you have any questions. The Booking application works best in: Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari web browsers.

Other Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Military Discharge Information

After you have been discharged, you will need to file your DD-214 with your county of residence.  Please bring your complete DD-214, or mail it, to the Lyon County Recorder, 607 West Main Street Marshall, MN 56258.  We will file it and return the original back to you.  We would also like to suggest that you stop in and meet the Lyon County Veterans Service Officer and staff.  There is a lot that they can do for you. When you need to prove your veterans' status, a certified copy of your DD-214 might be required.  You can obtain those from the recorder's office.  There is no fee to the veteran for a certified copy of his/her DD214, but you will be required to complete an application.  Access to these records are restricted.  You may contact our office at 507-537-6722 or the VSO Office at  507-537-6729 if you have any questions.



 See: Passports 

Genealogy Research

Southwest History Center
Southwest State University
Marshall, MN 56258
1-800-642-0684 ext 7373
1-507-537-7373 Minnesota Historical Society
345 W Kellogg Blvd
St Paul, MN 55102-1906


Immigration & Naturalization

For information regarding Immigration and Naturalization please contact:

US Department of Justice, Immigration, and Naturalization
Metro Office Park
2901 Metro Dr
Bloomington, MN 55425 US Citizenship and Immigration Services - US Immigration 1-800-375-5283 Forms: 1-800-870-3676 Sioux Falls: 1-605-330-4276 (automated, leave phone number)


Notary Public Information

If you want to become a Notary Public, you must contact the Secretary of State.  Online applications are accepted at: Once you have made your application and receive your Notary Public Commission from the Secretary of State, you will need to file this with the county of your residence.  In Lyon County, you need to present your Notary Public Commission, along with a filing fee of $20.00.  At the time of filing you will be asked for a specimen of your signature to have on file in the Recorder’s Office. You may be asked for two signatures, the first signature required is the same as what the commission shows, the second signature is how you will be signing your notary.  If these are both the same, then you will need to sign only once.